Sunday, January 01, 2006

"You can never go home, Oatman. But I guess you can shop there."

One of my favorite films of all time is Grosse Pointe Blank, a movie in which the male protagonist "goes home" for his ten-year high school reunion. For those of you who haven't seen the film in a while, John Cusack's character Martin Blank returns to his affluent suburban hometown outside of Detroit. His old girlfriend still lives there, as do a number of the people who seem to have figured prominently into the social world of his high school. Of course, he hasn't seen or heard from any of them in ten years and he vanished mysteriously on prom night. Plus, Blank gets to tell everyone that he's a professional killer at the reunion. What could be better?

Of course, it's impossible to "go home" like Cusack's character does, especially if one's "hometown" is an affluent suburb. For instance, if I were to "go home" to Bethel Park, I would find only one of my friends who figured prominently into my high school social world still living there. I would find that, in some cases, even people's parents have moved away. While I would still be able to drive around using all the back roads and recognize the landmarks, the place would not be anything like the home that Martin Blank finds ten years later in Grosse Pointe because I would know hardly anyone besides my parents and my lone friend who still lives there.

But Grosse Pointe Blank at least makes a nod to this by locating the ill-fated Ultimart on the lot where Blank's childhood home once stood. And his mother has gone senile. That, at least, is something. In addition to the line that is the title of this post, there's also the scene in which Blank tells Oatman, his shrink, that he doesn't know what he has in common with "those people" anymore and that he thinks the reunion would be depressing. "They've all made themselves a part of something and they can talk about what they do," he says, "and what am I going to say? I killed the president of Paraguay with a fork. How have you been?" So while the film certainly acknowledges the idea of change making a homecoming impossible, that homecoming still takes place and is still meaningful because Blank does end up re-uniting with his old girlfriend and seeing some people he used to know.

Perhaps the filmmakers can get away with this precisely because of the 10-year reunion, an event that could explain the lingering presence of so many old-school "pointers." There's Paul, who still lives in town and now sells real estate, Bob, who owns a BMW dealership, Ken, who seems to be some kind of lawyer, and of course Debi, who works at a local radio station. So even the people in the reunion seem all to have stayed in town. But it's with Debi that the most convenient "going home" twist takes place. Since a fire took place in her apartment, she's now living at home with her father, in her old bedroom which looks pretty much the same as it did in high school. So Martin Blank gets to visit her there, in that museum of personal history. Then he gets to pick her up at her father's house for the reunion to make up for standing her up on prom night to join the army. And to top it all off, he gets to save her father's life in that very home. Talk about "going home" and being able to sort things out. I wonder how things might have been different if she'd still been living in her own apartment when Martin returned to town.

Still, I'm left with one thought. Of course I love Grosse Point Blank because it's so absurd and funny yet still true on some kind of base level. But where's the movie in which some guy goes home to his affluent suburban town and finds that no one he knows is there and that the place means absolutely nothing to him now? Isn't that, after all, the fate of most of those kind of places for the people who grow up there?

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Schna said...

I too grew up in a relatively affluent suburb, and I find that whenever I return to see my family, I'm amazed at how many people are STILL THERE. Most of my friends have moved elsewhere, but it's rare that I return there and don't see SOMEONE who went to high school with me.
Still, that is no longer "home" to me. I call it home still, only because my family is still there and so it will always be a home of sorts for me. But, I no longer feel I have anything in common with "those people" either.
Get back to me in a year and a half though, after my ten year high school reunion (though I'm not certain whether or not I will attend - it could be amusing). :)

I too love this movie though, and my favorite line is the title of this post. I also like the scene where Paul FREAKS out in the car, shouting "TEN YEARS!!" repeatedly while pounding the steering wheel. Good one-liners in this film, for sure.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Yes, things used to seem that way to me too, but lately even those who stuck around are finally gone. If I run into anyone from high school, it's always in the city; there simply isn't anywhere to go in BP to run into people.

1:27 PM  
Blogger Devin said...

So, I've never seen this movie, but I generally like John Cusack and you seem to really like this movie. I got a gift certificate to Amazon for my birthday; would you say this movie is worth buying without having watched it first?

Oh, hi, by the way. I have now started a blog on here as well. I now I have three blogs. I'm beginning to frighten myself.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home