Thursday, April 06, 2006

The Disappearance of Home

During the middle weeks of August 1997, I lived well. My friends had copious amounts of fun simply by sitting around someone's house and, in the parlance of those times, "enjoying each other's company." This might have involved capture the flag in Carolyn's back yard, listening to Joe narrate the muted Discovery Channel documentary on the wildebeest, or even deciding to go out and get the "weggie patch pizza" at Applebee's. And I had Janelle, that girl I loved madly and could just look at for hours without ever becoming bored. So things were pretty good in those last days of my seventeenth year, but then everything essentially vanished. It's that period of change that I'm interested in right now, that period which takes place many times over the course of an average American's life. Everyone moves, meets different people, loses touch with some, acquires entirely new sensibilities with which to relate to the world, and can never go back on any of these changes. In Anywhere But Here, Natalie Portman does a tremendous job of capturing that period in her role as Ann August. Although many people don't like that film because of the liberties it takes with the adaptation of Mona Simpson's fabulous novel, I think it's a pretty decent movie.

Ann's mother Adele (Susan Sarandon) decides that the two of them need to move to California to escape the "nothing town" of Bay City, Wisconsin. Of course, the irony is that Bay City, in an early flashback where Adele buys the Mercedes to take to California, is portrayed as something of a lush, green dreamland while Adele and Ann drive through dry, uninhabited scrubland in Utah. In Bay City, the original owner walks out of his cozy-looking home and over his soft lawn with a beer in his hand to show the car to Adele and Ann. A sprinkler is audible in the background. One thinks, during that flashback, of the so-called "American Dream," and Natalie Portman does dejection extraordinarily well to convey how upset she is over her mother's constant ramblings about leaving town. In Utah, Ann says to Adele, "This is like being kidnapped; you don't understand that, do you?" She's left her entire life behind in Bay City. She has friends, family, and familiar surroundings there, but is forced to leave.

I suppose, in retrospect, that I wasn't forced to leave Bethel Park or the Pittsburgh area as Ann was forced to leave Bay City, but I chose to go to school nearly 2100 miles from home in part because I wanted to save the image I had of that place and that time. I knew that if I stuck around, others would move away, and everything would change around me and leave me behind. By leaving for Missoula, an entirely new place in which I knew no one, I could maintain that home in my head. That's the quintessential part of the period of change I'm talking about: preservation of the image of home. While that image was inevitably depressing in my new location because of its inaccessibility, I felt as though I'd die without it. Similarly, Ann tries to maintain the image in her head on numerous occasions in Anywhere But Here, and is quite upset at her failure.

In the California diner where Adele fortuitously meets her real estate agent friend, Ann calls her grandmother's house in Bay City, but Adele interrupts her before anyone picks up. Ann leaves the diner for the impersonal, uncaring street outside and can't prevent herself from crying. Later in the film, she makes an illicit phone call to her cousin from a house she visits with her mother as a potential homebuyer. These types of incidents lead to an increasingly successful image of home in Ann's head, though inevitably that fight for preservation is a no-win kind of deal. Those incidents do remind me of the ridiculous phone bills I ran up calling Janelle in her Michigan Tech dorm room and the crazy amount of time I spent emailing everyone else, but like the movie suggests, no one can ever really "go home" after this kind of period of change.

Ann's cousin Benny dies late in the film, so Ann and Adele head back to Bay City for the funeral. In those scenes, the houses in Bay City don't look cozy; they look cramped and dull. The lighting isn't as bright, and it's raining. Ann's extended family is fighting. Nothing is the same. Similarly, when I go back to the South Hills these days, the place just doesn't look like it used to. Now, instead of the sprinklers and the nice-looking lawns, I notice all the Republican campaign signs in the yards, the gratuitous SUVs in every driveway, and the complete lack of sidewalks so that no one can safely walk anywhere. And just like Benny vanishes from Ann's Bay City, if you Google Janelle, you won't find anything, and no one I know has heard from her in years.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't this where Martin Blank chimes in? "You can't go home, Oatman, but I guess you can shop there."

I realize that your view of BP is horribly colored by your time in Missoula, but I would have to believe that even if you hadn't gone so far away, you would have come to the same conclusion. Am I wrong?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Well, I think that if I'd gone somewhere close enough to home that people I knew were around and I could come home for the weekend, I might have been vulnerable to the South Hills' trapping forces. If you go home every weekend because you don't know anyone at school, then you never meet anyone there and you become a commuter. And then my precious "image of home" would not have been nearly as well-maintained in my head because it would have been colored by the in-your-face fact of the change going on in BP.

2:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First and foremost, I'd like to congratulate Brian and Mariah on their groundbreaking marital communication techniques. I do find it interesting that much of Brian's discussion of "preservation of the image of home" is inextricably linked to preservation of relationships fostered in whatever place we call home. Perhaps we're inclined to mourn the loss of the semi-nebulous concept of home to spare ourselves the more troubling idea that many of the relationships in our lives evolve with speed and complexity that we have trouble mastering. Of course, while change is constant, it stops short of being omnipotent, as some fraction of the readership of this blog can take comfort in the realization that Phil's probably losing his keys somewhere in the South Hills as you read this.

11:41 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Thanks for the communication props, Joe. I'm always looking to break ground, if you know what I'm saying. Smokin'.

Anyhow, it seems necessary to me that the relationships are what define our nebulous concepts of "home." When I'm in BP now, things look largely the same as they used to in terms of the roads, buildings, etc., but it seems like I'm just visiting because I know that none of my friends are in their ancestral manses or driving their wonderful Ford/Mercury products around the nonsensical maze of streets, waiting to run into one another at night so they can whip sudden u-turns and cause others to take double-takes in their rearviews. Yeah.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I realize that your view of BP is horribly colored by your time in Missoula"

or was your time in Missoula rosily colored by your time in the BP?

and what colors have the BP and missoula brought to bear on your current stay in the burgh?

wait, scratch that poetic nonsense. i want some science.

here's the equation of your residencies: A => B => A' (=> B'), where A represents Western PA and B represents Western MT. now tell me more about these repeating orbitals you're stuck in and their trapping forces.

6:05 PM  
Blogger L.A. said...

I am unaware of the South Hills' ability to "trap" people. I'm unaware of any such place that does such a thing to anyone except for jail, and even if you are in jail, according to whitman - you're mind is still free. Getting stuck in a particular place - your hometown - for example has to be pared down to a deciscion: in other words a choice a human makes where the pain of staying in the same place becomes so great that they finally leave. I think it is interesting that you say you left BP to keep it preserved safe in your mind. The phrase "precious memories" comes to mind. I wasn't conscious that I was doing that when I went to MA for college, but perhaps in a way that is something that I did (that everyone does) subconsciously. I'm very interested in that as a psychological concept. Although, at the time, I felt like I was exploring and I was much more excited about where I was headed than where I was. Although I remember being concerned about who and what I was leaving behind I don't feel it to be a strong feeling that I had at the time. As far as I knew, everything in MA was going to be "DIFFERENT" or "BETTER" or so I thought (I was 50% right). I STILL have very strong sweet memories about my dear sweet friends and all the silly things we used to do in high school,and I can't think about the South Hills almost at all without thinking wistfully sometimes about my friends of that era. But those people for the most part are still my friends. The "in your face facts" that you believe would have confronted you would be of no consequence really now, at this point in time, because your past and nostalgia are always somewhat clouded/dreamy the only comfort is that for the most part - if you have a good memory - they stay pretty much the same in your mind always. Could it be this stasis that you enjoy the most? I think it is more realistic to say that you are perhaps among the more sensitive race of people who feel nostalgia very deeply, than it would be to say that at the time of HS graduation you were acting out of a desire to preserve something that had only just happened. I might add that I think that's okay. With all the people, self-help books, etc. that urge us to stay in the present and make the best of it; there is deep comfort to be gleaned from the stasis of our pasts. Not only that, but in my theory our pasts are what connect us as a society, our pasts are how we guage how much intamacy to bring into any given relationship. "Does this guy/girl sorta know what it's like to have been me?" Perhaps our instinct to protect and celebrate our pasts is only a survival instinct that helps us to find a well matched mate, or keeps us safe by avoiding/knowing certain people based on their past (criminal/insane/etc)...what do you think? Ask yourself this question (do it quietly) "Does anybody that I'm dating/married to/ or friends with remind me of anyone from my past?

10:58 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Laura, of course, is right about the fact that people remain in the South Hills of their own choosing. But perhaps, along the lines of what Jeff requested, the situation could be thought of this way. The South Hills’ trapping forces, while they can’t themselves make a decision for someone, can act as a real force upon a person’s decision. Let’s assume that a UI is a Unit of Influence. Any decision is the result of the sum of one option’s UIs being greater than the sum of any other option’s UIs. So the following might be considered a reasonable way to express the South Hills’ trapping forces for an average Bethel Park alumnus:

No grocery bill: 15 UI
No rent: 50 UI
No utilities: 15 UI
# of friends who are living in the South Hills for the moment: 20 UI

Total Trapping Forces of the South Hills: 100 UI

Now, for me, the UI total for living in the city would trump that for the suburbs as follows:

Sidewalks provide the opportunity to take a walk on a nice day without getting in one’s car as well as the ability to walk to the grocery store and several friends’ places: 25 UI
# of friends who live in the city for the moment: 100 UI
Great restaurants and bars: 25 UI
Not having to live by anyone else’s rules because I’m living in their house: 50 UI
Far shorter commute: 30 UI

Total Forces for Living in the city: 230 UI

Having said all of that, I can imagine that for many BP alumni wouldn’t have nearly all those city UI. A typical suburban alumnus might not be familiar with the sheer number of great restaurants and bars in the city, might not know people who are living in the area other than in the South Hills, and might not really care about living under someone else’s rules because he/she probably wouldn’t spend that much time at home anyway. That would bring the typical score to the following:

City: 55 UI
South Hills: 100 UI

Perhaps this explains why so many people still choose to live out there.

4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home